Skip to main content

Lilith Mazikina: "The Years Flow By..." (From Romani)

"The years flow by..."
By Lilith Mazikina
Translated by A.Z. Foreman

The years flow by like water through hands, 
From the girl I was to the woman I am.
Now I'm the one with her own girls, see!
What thief filched all my youth from me? 
Whoever it was...I hope he has fun. 
There at my window � the dark birds come. 
I open the window � shoo them away.
How far ahead is the bone-cold rain?
It's all without you! "Forget him" they insisted.
What sister forgets her brother existed?

The Original:
For reasons explained on this page, all Cyrillic Romani texts I translate are accompanied by transcription in Roman characters. 
????? ??????? - ????????? ????.
?? ????? ??? - ?? ????? ?????;
?????????, ????, ????? ???.
??????? ???? ?? ?? ??? ??????
???? ????? - ??? ????? ??????...
??? ??????? - ???? ???????;
???????? ???????, ????? ??????.
????? ????? ????? ????????? -
???? ??????! "????????", ??????.
?? ??? ?????? ?????????? - ?????     

Ber�a prastan � vast�nd�r pan�.
Me s�mas caj � me jacom romn�
Kokorj�te, d�kh, akana caja.
Tern�p� miro so za cor cordja?
Savo cordja � mek l�nca khelel...
Pal okn�ste � kale cirikle;
Otker�va f�n�tra, kr�go tradav.
K�c�k angil �udre br��nd�?
Sare bit�r�! Zabister, phenen.
Ne s�r p�ales zabistr�la � phen?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TUM (Urdu Poetry)

TUM (Urdu Poetry) ...

Rumi and Shakespeare

By Wes Jamroz, excerpts from his new book, Shakespeare's Sequel to Rumi's Teaching "Jalaluddin Rumi and William Shakespeare are considered to be the greatest poets of Persian and English literature, respectively. However, there is much more in common between these two titans of poetry who lived some 350 years and 2,000 miles apart. In his Sonnets, Shakespeare acknowledged that his writings were inspired by Rumi�s poetry. He referred to Rumi as one of �Alien pens� whom he was asked to study. He described Rumi as �He of tall building, and of goodly pride�. Shakespeare admitted that Rumi�s verses were so powerful that they were stopping his thoughts before he was able to formulate them. Although Shakespeare was strongly influenced by Rumi�s poetry, it should be emphasized that his writings were not merely some adaptations of Rumi�s illustrations from an Eastern environment into the Western culture. Such understanding would greatly diminish Shakespeare�s role. Shakespeare wa...