Skip to main content

Victor Hugo: Republican Exile (From French)

In 1851 prince Louis-Napol�on Bonaparte staged a coup d'�tat which abolished the French National Assembly and reinstated the French Empire, with Louis-Napol�on as its emperor. Hugo went into exile, moving to the island of Jersey in the English channel. 

Republican Exile
By Victor Hugo
Translated by A.Z. Foreman
Click to hear me recite the original French

Since men of honor sink in slime,
Since the scepter is held by crime,
Since rights have all been wronged away,
Since all the proud lie beaten down
And on streetposts through every town
My country's shame is on display;

Republic of our Fathers' right,
Gold dome, great pantheon of light  
Under the free and open blue,
Oh temple of immortal shades!
Since now the step-ladder brigades
Paste empire to your walls with glue,

Since hearts are beaten to the core
Since we all crawl, since we ignore
The right, the true, the great, the brave,
The eyes of history in fury,
The law, all honor and all glory 
And those now gone into the grave;

Exile and anguish!....I love them.
Let sorrow be my diadem.
I love my prideful poverty!
I love the door lashed by the gale
I love the statue, grave and pale,
Of Mourning seated next to me.

I love the hardships I endure,
That darkness where I find once more
All that delights and bids me live:
Veiled virtue, truth, faith, dignity,
Freedom the dauntless deportee,
And loyalty the fugitive. 

I love this isle out on the deeps,
Good Jersey which free England keeps
Behind her banner's ancient shield,
Dark waters high and higher now,
The vessel - a meandering plow,
The billows - a mysterious field.

I love the gull, O sea, that swirls
Your waters' wavelets up in pearls
Upon its wildly colored wings,
Dives down into the monstrous surges
And from their gaping jaws emerges,
As does the soul from sufferings. 

I love this solemn height of stone
Where I hear the eternal moan, 
Relentless as a deep regret,
Born and reborn in the dark air,
Of waves over bleak reefs out there, 
Of mothers over children dead.

The Original:

Puisque le juste est dans l'abime,
Puisqu'on donne le sceptre au crime,
Puisque tous les droits sont trahis,
Puisque les plus fiers restent mornes,
Puisqu'on affiche au coin des bornes
Le d�shonneur de mon pays ;

� R�publique de nos p�res,
Grand Panth�on plein de lumi�res,
D�me d'or dans le libre azur,
Temple des ombres immortelles,
Puisqu'on vient avec des �chelles
Coller l'empire sur ton mur ;

Puisque toute �me est affaiblie,
Puisqu'on rampe, puisqu'on oublie
Le vrai, le pur, le grand, le beau,
Les yeux indign�s de l'histoire,
L'honneur, la loi, le droit, la gloire,
Et ceux qui sont dans le tombeau ;

Je t'aime, exil ! douleur, je t'aime !
Tristesse, sois mon diad�me !
Je t'aime, alti�re pauvret� !
J'aime ma porte aux vents battue.
J'aime le deuil, grave statue
Qui vient s'assoir � mon c�t�.

J'aime le malheur qui m'�prouve,
Et cette ombre o� je vous retrouve,
� vous � qui mon coeur sourit,
Dignit�, foi, vertu voil�e,
Toi, libert�, fi�re exil�e,
Et toi, d�vouement, grand proscrit !

J'aime cette ile solitaire,
Jersey, que la libre Angleterre
Couvre de son vieux pavillon,
L'eau noire, par moments accrue,
Le navire, errante charrue,
Le flot, myst�rieux sillon.

J'aime ta mouette, � mer profonde,
Qui secoue en perles ton onde
Sur son aile aux fauves couleurs,
Plonge dans les lames g�antes,
Et sort de ces gueules b�antes
Comme l'�me sort des douleurs.

J'aime la roche solennelle
D'o� j'entends la plainte �ternelle,
Sans tr�ve comme le remords,
Toujours renaissant dans les ombres,
Des vagues sur les �cueils sombres,
Des m�res sur leurs enfants morts.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maula-Maula laakh pukaare - Kalaam by Hazrat Zaheen Shah Taji (R.A.)

????-???? ??? ??????,???? ??? ? ?? ????? ?? ?? ??? ??? ???,???? ??? ? ?? ?? ???? ?? ??? ?? ???? ????,?? ?????? ?? ????-???? ????-????,?????? ?? ?? ??? ????-???? ????-????,?? ?? ??? ? ?? ?? ??????? ?? ?? ?? ??,?? ???? ?? ??? ???? ?? ????? ???? ???? ?? ??????? ???? ???? ??? ? ???? ???? ???? ?? ??? ?? ?? ????? ~ Hazrat Zhaeen Shah Taji (R.A.) Maula-Maula laakh pukaare,Maula haath na aaye Lafzon se hum khel rahe hain,maa'na haath na aaye Jo pani ke naam ko pani jaane,naadaani hai Pani-pani rat'te rat'te,pyaasa hi mr jaaye Shola-shola rat'te-rat'te,lab pe aanch na aaye Ik chingaari lab par rakh lo,lab fauran jal jaaye Ism pe Qaane hone waala aur musamma khone waala Kaam na karne waala moorakh bas naam se ji bahlaye English Translation: Calling out Maula Maula! Maula still escapes us. We only play with words,meaning still escapes us. Who understands the word Water as Water,is a fool, He will keep chanting Water Water and will die of thirst. By ch

Lucan: Opening to his Epic on the Civil War (From Latin)

I have recently finished reading (for the first time in its entirety) Lucan's unfinished epic Bellum Civile " The Civil War." I found it extraordinary. When I had finished, I wanted to translate the entire thing. Though I quickly realized that I hadn't the time or the resources to do so without the task taking several years. So I have selected a few excerpts from the Bellum Civile  that I think read well on their own, and have added these to my translation queue. Starting with this part here from the poem's opening. You can see a list of the planned excerpts on my table of contents (list of translated poems.) Opening to his Epic on the Civil War (1.1-82)  By Lucan Translated by A.Z. Foreman I sing of war far worse than civil war waged in the nasty fields of Thessaly, of crime gone legal, of a powerful state that disemboweled itself with victory's sword, of family front lines 1 ; how when the pact of tyranny imploded, all the forces of a concussed w

Rumi's "Popular Versions" in Their Original Farsi Scripts

I've been receiving numerous emails requesting the original Farsi or Persian verses of Rumi's very famous and often quoted English "Versions" which are "translated" by the popular Rumi "version makers", particularly the incomparable Coleman Barks who has single-handedly made Maulana Jalaluddin Balkhi Rumi a household name here in our beloved America. In some instances, it's virtually impossible to find Rumi's original Farsi verses, mainly due to non-Persian speaking 'version makers' not providing a reference to the original Rumi verses in their famous  new-agey  translation works. Coleman Barks, the foremost Rumi translator and "version maker", not only openly admits, but also calls his Rumi translations as "versions," or "re-renderings" because he doesn't read Farsi:  �Of course, as I work on these poems, I don�t have the Persian to consult. I literally have nothing to be faithful to, except wha