Skip to main content

Lera Yanysheva: The Sense of the Father (From Russian Romani)

The Sense of the Father
By Lera Yanysheva
Translated by A.Z. Foreman

(Set in the 1890s)

I grew up in a camp, a traveling Rom.
I'm living in St. Petersburg today,
The city of His Majesty the Tsar.
Is there a finer city? I can't say.

Now Russian gentlemen pay me good money
To entertain them in a restaurant chorus. 
The good Lord even blessed me with good daughters
Born in the moneyed home I had built for us.

My daughters grew and blossomed into beauties.
The men went crazy for them at a glance.
The Russian soul finds freedom in a gypsy song
And nobody could dance like my girls danced. 

Then a disaster. My own blood betrayed me.
Now I'm afraid to bloody show my face.
Those two sang their last number to run off
With noble "men" and dropped me in disgrace.

They will give birth � good Lord � to halfblood freaks.
In camp they say that I have sold myself. 
"Too good for us" they stab me as they speak
"But couldn't join the gadjo gents. Well, well..."

It's true...I live a Russian gadjo life.
Where's my Romanipen? My free Rom will?
Those stupid girls have done a number on me.
But I was blessed with one more daughter still.

My Masha � a real Romni of the tents!
Thinking of her, my heart is melted snow. 
She stopped by yesterday, a traveling Rom.
It truly warmed my eyes to see her so

With her red coral beads, her well-worn blouse, 
The headscarf that a proper wife should wear,
Her ear-rings and her flower-pattern skirt. 
The day was cold...and yet her feet were bare!  

The horse-monger I gave her to appraised her,
Knowing she was a towngirl. Didn't care! 
Just said "she's pretty as a doll" and took her
To a kept life of tents and open air. 

No poshness for my Masha. Woods and roads...
She'll learn to work the cards, tell fortunes well.  
She'll bear him children, and they will be men
Who profit by the horses that they sell. 

Nobody wants a towngirl in their family.
I had to cut a deal with an old friend of mine.  
He took the gamble, and became her in-law. 
So now my son-in-law keeps her in line.

A father knows much better than his daughters. 
My Masha sobbed. But she had best make do.
She will not be some lordly Russian's tramp.
She lives the way the good Lord willed her to.


Stanza 2

One is, I think, to understand that the man is not actually wealthy by the standards of the Russian ruling class. Rather, he is unusually wealthy for a Rom.

Stanza 3:

L3, literally reads quite simply "the gadje want/love Romani songs." My translation, which makes explicit a bit of what I think implicit, is rather circumlocutory. It seemed called for, given that an English-speaking reader might not necessarily be aware of the role "gypsy songs" have had in Russian culture. Yanysheva self-translates this line in Russian as ?? ????? ??????? � ?????? ??? ???? "To them [Russian gentry], the free-[spirited] song is a joy to the soul."

Stanza 6

Romanipen: a key concept of Rom culture. (Also known as: Romanimos, Romanija, Roman�ago.) This is not necessarily a matter of ancestry, so much as how one behaves, how one lives, and what one does. The quality of being in touch with Rom ways.

Stanza 8

On the phrase "de �atra rogo��tko" (into a burlap tent) c.f. the song which begins, in one version:

Aj de �atrica rogo��tko
Ande �atrica caj bid�tko.
(Oh in a little burlap tent, in the little tent is a hapless girl.)


The Original:

????�????? ??�??
???? ???????

??????? ???????, ?? ??????? ?????

??, ????????? ?? ??? ??�???? ????,
?? ????? ?? ???????�??? ?? ?????�??.
???�? ?????? ????�?? ??????!
? ?? ?? ??�?? ??????�?? ?? ?? ?????�??.

??? ??????�??? ??�??? ??? ????.
??? ???????�??? ?? ?? ??�?? ????????,
???? ???? ??? ????? ?????.
?? ???? ??? ??�??? ??????? ??????.

???????? ??? ???�???? ???,
??? ??�??? ? ???? ??? ????�???.
????? ????�?? ?????? ????.
????? ????�???? ? ??? ?????�???.

? ??�?? ??????! ???� ?? ??? ????!
?? ?? ? ???�?? ??�??? ?? ?????�???�
??????????�???! ??? ?? ???????!
??? ???? ??? ? ???????�??? ???????�???.

???�?? ?????? � ????! � ?? ??? ?????.
? ??�????? ????? ???? ???? ?????�???:
�?????�??? ?????, ? ?? ??? ?? ???????�!
???? ??? ????????�, � ???� ????�?? ??�???.        

??�. ?????????? ?????? ?? ??�?? ??.
??? ?? ????????? ??? ??�?? ???????
?????? ?? ??�??? ??�?? � ??????�
?? ????, ?? ??�??? ???�?? ?????�.

??? ???? ??�??? � ?? ?????�??? ???.
???? ?? ????????, ??? ??????.
??? ????? ????�?? ?? ????,
?? ??�?? ?? ?????? � ???? ??????!

???? ????�??, ??�??? ?????????,
?? ?????? ?? ??�?? ??�?? ??????�???.
?? ?????? � ? ?? ?? ??????? �
???? ????, ?????�??? ??????�???.

??? ??????�??? ?????? ?? ??????,
??? ?? ??? � ???? ??�??? ??? ????�???,
�???? ????, � ??????, � ??? ??�??? ??!�
?? ??�?? ???? ?? ??�??? ??????�???.

?? ??�???? ??????! ?????, ????�
? ?? ????? ?? ?? ?????? ?????�??.
????? ??�???? ???? ???? ?????,
? ???? ?? ??????? ???� ???�??!

???????????? ??????? ?????�??,
????�??? ?? ????? ?? ??�??? ?? ?????.
? ?? ?? ??�???? � ?? ???? ?????�??,
??? ????? ????� ?? ????�?? ???????!

??? ???? � ????� ????? ???? ?????�??.
????? ? ??�?? � ??? � ?????????!
?? ????? ????? ?? ?? ???�??.
?????�?? ?? ??? ??????? ??????�

Dad�skiri D�ma
Lera Jan�eva

Semjake Pankovo, de lengiri pat�v.

Ne, bijandjom-pe me dre t�boro baro,
Te akana do Peterb�rgo me d�ivava.
Odoj d�ivel tag�ri kokoro!
A s� li f�ro go�ed�r? Me na d�inava.

Raja plesk�rna m�nge but love.
Va� gospod�nge me do x�ro bagandjom,
Lace cajen d�j� m�nge Devel.
Me kher va� s�mja barvalo kindjom.

V�barin� s�r cv�tic� caja,
Pal l�nde o bare raja mer�nas.
Gad�e kam�na romane gilja.
Fed�r sar�nd�r o caja khel�nas.

E b�da podgeja! Jone �e rat miro!
Da me o �t�to p�ske na lath�vas...
Dobagandle-pes! S�r �e lad�avo!
Jekh pale jekh e gospod�nca uprast�nas.

Av�na cavore � mejom! � po pa� gad�e.
O t�borna mur�a ghara amen obkh�rna:
"�atr�t�r ugene, a ke raja na prigene!
Tume pes bikindle" � jone lav�sa m�rna.

Ai. Gad�ikanes d�ivav de f�ro me.
Kaj s� Roman�pe? Kaj v�lja Roman�?
Skerde pe m�nde bida � d�l�n�...
Pe baxt, s� m�nde tr�to cajori.

Vot miri M�ka � joj �atr�tko caj.
Koli me zripirav, ilo tatj�la.
S�r atasja rom�sa joj javja,
Pe l�te me d�kh�v � jakha xac�na!

Lole kor�li, k�fta risjkird�,
Te roman� pe l�te c�xa obork�nca.
S� ��lal� � a joj s� pirangi �
Bare cenja, fart��ka uzork�nca.

Pal kofar�ste cajorja me otd�j�m,
L�j� la rom � xotj Ma�ka s�s for�tko,
"Savi ran�" phendja "s�r k�kla joj!"
Joj l�sa ugeja de ��tra rogo��tko.

Na b�rsko d�iipe! Droma, ve�a...
I pe patrja joj te curdel d�in�la.
Av�na l�kire cave sare mur�a,
E gren te paruven jone av�na!

Dorakirdj�m-pe phurane drug�sa,
For�tko ca nikon de s�mja na kam�n.
A jov na d�rlas � jov javja svat�sa,
Tej adava cavo la str�go rikirel!

Kaj baxt � dada fed�r cajen d�in�na.
Rundja e Ma�a � mek � pris�kl�j�!
Te akana gad�i joj ne av�la.
D�iv�la joj s�r Devloro phendja...




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maula-Maula laakh pukaare - Kalaam by Hazrat Zaheen Shah Taji (R.A.)

????-???? ??? ??????,???? ??? ? ?? ????? ?? ?? ??? ??? ???,???? ??? ? ?? ?? ???? ?? ??? ?? ???? ????,?? ?????? ?? ????-???? ????-????,?????? ?? ?? ??? ????-???? ????-????,?? ?? ??? ? ?? ?? ??????? ?? ?? ?? ??,?? ???? ?? ??? ???? ?? ????? ???? ???? ?? ??????? ???? ???? ??? ? ???? ???? ???? ?? ??? ?? ?? ????? ~ Hazrat Zhaeen Shah Taji (R.A.) Maula-Maula laakh pukaare,Maula haath na aaye Lafzon se hum khel rahe hain,maa'na haath na aaye Jo pani ke naam ko pani jaane,naadaani hai Pani-pani rat'te rat'te,pyaasa hi mr jaaye Shola-shola rat'te-rat'te,lab pe aanch na aaye Ik chingaari lab par rakh lo,lab fauran jal jaaye Ism pe Qaane hone waala aur musamma khone waala Kaam na karne waala moorakh bas naam se ji bahlaye English Translation: Calling out Maula Maula! Maula still escapes us. We only play with words,meaning still escapes us. Who understands the word Water as Water,is a fool, He will keep chanting Water Water and will die of thirst. By ch

Lucan: Opening to his Epic on the Civil War (From Latin)

I have recently finished reading (for the first time in its entirety) Lucan's unfinished epic Bellum Civile " The Civil War." I found it extraordinary. When I had finished, I wanted to translate the entire thing. Though I quickly realized that I hadn't the time or the resources to do so without the task taking several years. So I have selected a few excerpts from the Bellum Civile  that I think read well on their own, and have added these to my translation queue. Starting with this part here from the poem's opening. You can see a list of the planned excerpts on my table of contents (list of translated poems.) Opening to his Epic on the Civil War (1.1-82)  By Lucan Translated by A.Z. Foreman I sing of war far worse than civil war waged in the nasty fields of Thessaly, of crime gone legal, of a powerful state that disemboweled itself with victory's sword, of family front lines 1 ; how when the pact of tyranny imploded, all the forces of a concussed w

Rumi's "Popular Versions" in Their Original Farsi Scripts

I've been receiving numerous emails requesting the original Farsi or Persian verses of Rumi's very famous and often quoted English "Versions" which are "translated" by the popular Rumi "version makers", particularly the incomparable Coleman Barks who has single-handedly made Maulana Jalaluddin Balkhi Rumi a household name here in our beloved America. In some instances, it's virtually impossible to find Rumi's original Farsi verses, mainly due to non-Persian speaking 'version makers' not providing a reference to the original Rumi verses in their famous  new-agey  translation works. Coleman Barks, the foremost Rumi translator and "version maker", not only openly admits, but also calls his Rumi translations as "versions," or "re-renderings" because he doesn't read Farsi:  �Of course, as I work on these poems, I don�t have the Persian to consult. I literally have nothing to be faithful to, except wha